I keep telling myself that I will write down some things about pregnancy and I’m finally doing it! I think later on in life, maybe in other pregnancies, or when my daughter (if I have a daughter) or even granddaughters ask me about how I felt during pregnancy I’ll have it written down! And actually, reading other people’s pregnancy stories makes me feel like I'm not alone!
I expected to be sick with this pregnancy, but I expected that it would be at least cut in half from what I experienced with the twins! Well, that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Starting at around 5-6 weeks I was feeling nauseous, constantly. I always had to make sure I was eating something. that lasted for a few weeks, and then the sickness changed to what I now call “the gaggy stage” yep, I’ve named it. for me it just changes into a reflex, I guess. It’s like I want to just literally gag and heave all the time. So… it’s been like that for a while.
Oh, and I also get this really weird metallic taste in my mouth, it’s really gross and I can’t get it to go away! It adds to the sickness for sure!
I try really hard to not actually puke, because what little food and drink I can get down, I want to stay down. The doctor always says to make sure you drink enough fluid and stay hydrated, but that proves to be quite the task when drinking anything just makes me want to puke more.
It has been miserable, but manageable, most of the time. There is always a plastic bowl and pretzels by my side. And whenever I start coughing… then heaving, Hans is always scolding me, telling me to make sure I have the bowl by me, haha.
Smells have been getting to me more this time around! I can barely see raw meat, let alone smell it cooking. There was a vitamin I was taking that helped with my moods, that had a distinct smell. I had to stop taking it because just the thought of it makes me start heaving. Hans got in bed the other day after taking a shower and I made him roll far away from me, because I almost puked just smelling the soap! Not to mention, the smell of his toothpaste gets to me as well!
I was reading someone’s blog the other day, and she was saying how she could puke on demand… I was laughing because I feel the same way! The last week or so, I haven’t been able to keep myself from puking at times!
Pregnancy also makes me really moody! And not in a good way! I guess when I thought of moody before, I just thought it was happy, sad, maybe angry. But it’s not exactly that way for me. it’s more like switching between sad, annoyed, depressed, and normal- which is just the absence of those. nope, there’s not much happy mixed in there!
Oh, hormones are just awesome!
oh, and cravings….. I’ve been wanted a lot of top ramen lately! for a while in the earlier weeks I just wanted fresh cold fruit all the time. And very cold drinks with LOTS of ice. Even now, I crave cold slushies and smoothies! Hans makes me a smoothie almost every night! And I can’t eat sweets. I am a chocoholic and candy craver when i’m not pregnant. but when I am, sweets are BAD news. They make me sick (er) and I almost never want them.
But lets talk about how awesome my husband is through all of this! Despite me not being a very good wife during pregnancy, he is always by my side! If I need him, he is there. He cleans up my puke, and gets out of bed at 11 at night to make me a piece of toast :) He skips fun things he has planned just because I don’t want to be miserable sitting on the couch alone at night. he goes grocery shopping on his own, because I feel too sick, and he makes us dinner and does the dishes on the all too frequent days that I don’t feel like I can do anything. He does literally whatever I ask him to do. And, what I don’t. Like getting me a chair to sit on while I puke in the toilet and even flushing the toilet for me as fast as he can so I don’t have to see or smell the puke, haha :) THAT is true love :) :)
As hard as pregnancy is, we just love this little babe, so much already! Hearing the baby’s heartbeat and seeing him/her move around on the ultrasound screen, fills us with joy! and I can’t help but smile when I feel little flutters in my belly :)
Oh the things we do to have children! Love those little ones so much!

You are incredible, Steph! I am amazed at your fortitude and *positive* attitude, knowing it IS all worth it. I feel so bad that you're so sick, though. ((HUGS))
ReplyDelete