Well, last Sunday the 15th of august was our one year anniversary!
We have officially made it to one year. it’s a milestone I think. We still have a lot to learn, and a lot of hurdles to cross too, but I think that we have learned a lot, and we know each other a lot better.
When we first got married I thought that marriage was going to be happily ever after, no disagreements, just love and happiness all the time. We have had our fair share of learning experiences. We have learned patience, love, and acceptance. I have definitely matured, and I’m guessing Hans has too.
While I miss what it was like to be only married for a few weeks/ few months. I’m so glad that is over! I feel like we have come a long way! Our marriage has just gotten better as time has passed.
On our anniversary we drove from L.A. to our next hotel in San Diego. About halfway there we stopped and went to church. When we got to our hotel we walked up to our room and the door was open, there were 2 queen beds in it, the sheets were off and the cleaning lady was cleaning in there. We were a little confused so we went to ask the front desk and she gave us a different room.
When I looked into that room, I saw a full sized bed. We had ordered a deluxe king bed room three weeks in advance so I questioned her about it and she said they didn’t have king sized beds available.
When we walked into the room, it smelled like smoke. So we looked up our reservation online to show them (because they can’t just give away our room to someone else, if we ordered it in advance!) and we went to give them a piece of our mind!
Miraculously a deluxe king sized room was available! what do you know?
Well, this place was a little on the… um…. ghetto… shady side? The hotel was already in what seemed like a bad part of town. sure didn’t look like that online. here are some of the things that were weird about it.
1. There was a light in the room that would randomly turn on and off. at first I thought that the light bulb had gone out, and then it would turn on again… We couldn’t really figure out what switch was doing it, because we would always hear a click all the way on the other side of the room… We were in bed with all the lights off one night, and randomly, the light just turned on…….
2. The shower pressure was odd. I thought that it was just because someone flushed the toilet or something, but it wouldn’t go back to normal. one time the water just kept getting lower and lower, until there wasn’t any water coming out, in the middle of my shower!
3. The T.V. randomly went all fuzzy on all the channels, and then came back on a few minutes later….
4. The comforter was extremely wrinkled. There were huge balls of something, clumped in it.
5. It was old and dirty.
6. The window looked out on some Hispanic persons back yard and there was graffiti.
Also the screen was a little bent…. like someone had taken it out and put it back in… ? I don’t know why.
I really was afraid that some fight was going to break out, and there would be shooting involved. Every time Hans left the room, some part of me was afraid he would get shot…..
Well, we were a little disappointed that our hotel was a bust, but we were hopeful things would get better.
On the night of our anniversary, we had planned on making tin foil or “hobo” dinners. We were going to cook them on coals at the beach, and hang out at the beach that night… sounds good right??
Well, we bought all the stuff to do it, coals, lighter fluid, matches, hamburger meat, potatoes…. all the day before.
When we got to out hotel, Hans cut up all the potatoes, carrots, onions, and such, and then we headed out to find a beach.
We searched for over an hour. We got out of the car, asked people if fires were allowed, and everything we could think of! We couldn’t find a beach that allowed fires, and we didn’t want to get fined for it. We looked for parks that had grills…… nothing. We found a good beach, and asked a lifegaurd about fires, he told us where the fire pits were……. we went, they were all taken. We saw other people building fires on the beach, and we informed the lifegaurd, hoping he would let us, instead he made the other people put out their fires….. and we had ruined their night too.
We sat on the beach for a while, and then we went back to our sad hotel. We got out all of our snacks…… and that’s what we had for our anniversary dinner……. Happy Anniversary.
Needless to say, this was an anniversary we would remember. eating snacks and playing card games, at a ghetto hotel.
We were hopeful that sea world would be fun…….
When we first walked into sea world we knew that we definitely didn’t need two days there like we had planned. We think that part of the reason we were disappointed in sea world is because we had just been to Disneyland. We didn’t have high expectations for Sea World, but higher than what we got. We could’ve paid less for a regular aquarium, and still gotten the same experience, aside from the shows we saw, which were cool I will admit.
They really need to remodel or something! It was dirty, there weren’t good advertisements to make you even sort of excited about things there, and there were no vendors, or anything! One of the worst parts was that there was absolutely NO SHADE unless you went inside. I got a horrible sun burn, because we had forgotten our sunscreen. At Disneyland and Universal Studios, there was enough shade everywhere that you didn’t have to wear any sunscreen….. even though we still did.
Hans made the comment “ I bet they haven’t updated or spent any money on this place, because they are giving all the money to save the whales” haha. O man. we joked about stuff to make the day bearable.
Here are some pictures and videos of the day:
And videos:
I really like turtles!
After about 5 hours of being at the park, we had done pretty much everything and seen almost all of the shows. We wanted to leave sea world with something good, so we decided to get a cartoon drawing of ourselves. it was 25 dollars, so it was a stretch for us.
We were disappointed in the drawing we got because it didn’t look anything like us, and we should’ve told the guy that we weren’t going to pay for such a horrible drawing……. but we figured it was a perfect description of our trip to sea world.
Hahaha!
We went to dinner at Applebees that night and bought a cheesecake to eat later, which was nice!
We were supposed to stay another day in San Diego and go to Sea world again…… but we left early the next morning, and spent some time with Jarom and Rachel and their new addition to their very cute family!
When we were driving, we hit a weird flash flood, storm, and I got some videos of it. It was odd because it was in the middle of the desert and we had just left from getting gas, and it was about 115 degrees outside!
In the end and All in all it was a fun trip. We were glad to get back home to our apartment, but now I’m ready to leave again for vacation!










Oh Steph, I wish you had told me about your California plans before hand!
ReplyDeleteI'm from that area you know!
I know where the beaches are that you can light fires, I could have told you that Sea World is totally lame, I know where the nice, but very affordable hotels are, AND where the safe neighborhoods are!
Oh well, glad you still had fun though!
Ummm strange... who is that Kimi Jean person?cause thats me and I was going to say the SAME thing! You should have called me, San Diego is SO wonderful if you know where to go... sorry it didnt work out, but Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDelete