Today was my first day of my Externship! I am working at a Women’s health clinic.
last night I was so nervous about starting work! I hardly got any sleep. I know, it may seem dramatic…. but this isn’t some ordinary job! I was going to be working in the medical field, in a hospital setting, with patients.
The hard part for me was that I didn’t know what to expect! I had no idea what this place looked like, or what the people were like. How fast would they expect me to learn? Was I going to have to draw blood and give shots right away? I had no Idea what it was going to be like. I didn’t know how much they would expect me to know, and how much I would remember from class.
It is an unpaid internship, but I still feel like I’m being paid with their time, since I need a supervisor and they have to teach me a good amount.
Well, the first day is over, and I LOVED IT! Even though I didn’t do very many exciting things, I still loved it!
Most of the day I sat and observed what was going on, and I helped with a few things like faxing, filing, and walked around the office. The people there are so nice, and I don’t feel pressured at all, which is great! I was able to stand in on a “stress test” which is what they do sometimes for pregnant women to make sure the baby is healthy. Something like that may not be very exciting for people who have had babies and know what it is like to get one of those done. But it was fun for me to be able to stand there as an “assistant” in my scrubs, taking in information just like a real medical student.
During the day I asked so many questions about what different procedures were, and what certain medications were for. In the packet I was given from my teacher with expectations for me while I’m on the externship says something like “ask questions and show them you want to learn”. Well I really don’t have to try to “show” them, because I really am so interested, and I really do want to learn!
It was a good day. I love being in the Medical field.
Hans’ program is still going really well! He has a lot of work, but so far, so good! He has a special shirt he has to wear for the program.
Luckily, the building where he has all of his classes is really close to the women’s health clinic… like down the street, so sharing a car seems like it will be pretty easy at the moment. What a blessing! I was able to meet him for lunch today, which was nice.
Oh and I forgot! my supervisor called me in today and told me that they have a job opening. she asked me how long we were going to be here, and if I was interested in it… I said yes of course :) she said that she would put my resume in with the others. The job would be a night job a few nights a week from about 4-8 which will work out well because after this semester, Hans’ classes will all be at night! hope that works out!
We are blessed! The past few weeks we have had blessings thrown at us all over the place! And we are so grateful. I guess when you choose the right pathway, everything just falls into place.
We are happy!
Other than that, we have been loving our movie room, and using the Wii Fit (my parents had an extra one, and we inherited it)
I also like to color, and Hans has joined me in it, when we were watching America’s Got Talent (which we love to watch!)
don’t mind my un- makeuped face.
Oh happy day!

SO glad things are going so well for you guys! We love you!
ReplyDelete