Sunday, September 26, 2010

No Soliciting!

Well, this week has been yet another uneventful week. It turns out, Hans is making friends faster than I am! That’s probably because he is in school, around people who are more his age. He went and played raquetball on Friday during the day with someone, and some guy came over to talk to him about nerdy computer stuff during the relief society broadcast.

I’m always at work, hanging out with people who are grandmas already. I’ve been exchanging recipes a lot… haha!

The first Sunday we were here we went to the ward that was down the street. then we decided to go to the student university ward, in search of people who were more our age. So the next Sunday we went to church up by the university, but we went to the wrong ward because it was wrong on the internet. But,  we were still able to find the right bishop and give him our records, but we had already missed their meetings.

Last Sunday, Hans was sick so we didn’t go. So this Sunday was the first Sunday we have actually been to our ward, sad, I know. The ward is great! A lot more babies than we are used to, but there are still quite a few couples that don’t have any kids yet. So that’s good! The ward is very small, really small, I’ve never seen a ward that has been this size. Also relief society and priesthood are first, followed by Sunday school and then sacrament! So that will be an adjustment for us.

Right after we got home from church today at about 12:15, we headed up to our bedroom and started changing and getting ready to have a nice relaxing Sunday. We heard someone ring the doorbell so we went to answer it. Some guy wanted to show us some vacuum. We were saying no, but he said he had to do it for his job. He said he just had to show us how it works, because it was for his university. He told us he wasn’t selling it, just showing us how it works.

We asked him how long it would take and he said it wouldn’t take long. Hans asked him “well, how many minutes?” and he said he didn’t  know. Thinking it would be quick we let him in. Dumb, I know…. but we are polite people, it’s hard for us to say no sometimes.

Well he comes in, assembles his vacuum and start to show us how amazing his vacuum is. I thought, ok. he is going to rub this vacuum over a piece of carpet and then leave. but I was really wrong about that. I asked him how much it was and he said “I don’t know how much it is I’ll have to ask my boss” then he made some joke. He started asking about our lives and making small talk with us, asking us to feel this, and try that….. all kinds of dumb stuff.

Anyway, this guy keeps on taking out all this junk that goes on the vacuum and showing us how well it cleans our couch, and our T.V. and our kitchen floor. I’m telling you, it was ridiculous! we kept thinking, ok.. after this he will be done, but it didn’t stop!!

After about 20-30 minutes Hans almost started yelling at the guy. He has this mad voice that is really scary! I never allow him to use it, but this time was acceptable.  haha

He said “ look I know what you are doing, I know all the sales tactics… I’ve seen them before. We don’t believe in people working on Sunday, and you have definitely overstayed your welcome. I know you are trying to sell this to us, and I can tell you right now this is something we can’t afford so why don’t we just cut to the chase, tell us how much it is and then pack up your stuff and leave.”

The guy was taken back and he said “ well you could’ve told me that.”

I told him “ well I was ok with you coming in for five minutes or so, but you’ve been here for well over that.”

He hands us this piece of paper that says this thing is almost $3,000!! we told him that we were not going to buy it, because we couldn’t afford it. He told us he could call his boss and ask him if we could get a discount or something,  we told him that they would never get it down to a price that we could afford. We just wanted him to leave!

Well, he gets on his phone and I’m so appalled by that point that I asked him why he was calling right now and he said he had to.

He ended up calling his “boss” 3 different times before he actually left to see if he could get it at a lower price for us. sheesh. We kept telling him that we were NOT going to by it! It took him forever to pack up all his stuff, and by the time he left it was 1:30! yes. we had gotten home from church at 12:15. He was at our house for over an hour!

I feel so dumb for letting him in, on Sunday especially. I now understand why people have the “No Soliciting” signs on there doors. I’m going to get us one of those, and say no to every person trying to sell me something at our doorstep, unless it is girl scout cookies! I’m telling you, we have had more people trying to sell us stuff here then we have ever had, or that I remember in my lifetime!

Living and learning! No Soliciting! Learn from us.

Other than that fun story, I decorated our kitchen!

This decorated was inspired by my good friend Lauren Moseley! Thanks Lauren!

005

007

The oval one on top, did have glass covering it, but it fell and broke in the process of putting it up. We have broken so many things here!

004

Yes. We only have three chairs.

001

Hans even contributed to helping me decorate.

012

Now I feel like our home is closer to being complete.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!
    It turned out SOOO cute!!

    And. . . I cannot even believe that guy!!
    I know Layne and I would have been stuck with him in our house too. . . But now after that story there is no way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job decorating! Looks very homey.

    I've had a vacuum salesman come and do the VERY SAME THING! I will never buy a Kirby vacuum just because of how horrible the sales experience was. I've had them come to my door many times since and as soon as I realize they are Kirby salespeople, I send them away, as politely as I can.

    ReplyDelete