Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Marriage

Before I got married, I never really thought about what it would be like to actually be married. When I did think about it though, I never thought it would be hard at all!  You know, the “happily ever after” kind of thinking…..

Turns out .. it is Happily Ever After! just not the kind of happily ever after I thought it would be :)

Obviously, it’s hard to adjust to living with someone, and with men and women being so different, working things out can be a struggle at first. But I can tell that as time has gone on, it has gotten easier because we understand each other better now.

When I hear people say  “we’ve never had a disagreement, or fought,” I think that either:

1. They are lying  OR 2. One person is dominating or controlling the relationship.

I would like to think that we are past the “honeymoon stage” since we are coming up on 2 years of marriage this summer, but I know that I’m not in anyway a marriage expert. I know that when we start having a family, and life changes happen…. we will have a lot more to learn.

I do know that marriage takes work, and will always take work, but it is SO worth it!

If any of you have not read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman… you NEED to read it with your spouse (for those that are married) It talks about love languages, what makes you feel loved and how you show your love to others.We read it before we got married and it really helped!

For example my love languages are

#1 quality time and #2 acts of service

There is a test you can take online that tells you what your love language is :

For wives: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/personal-profiles/?profiletype=wives

For husbands: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/personal-profiles/?profiletype=husbands

Take the test and then read the book! You can thank me later :)

1 comment: