Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Called To Serve

And….. off he goes! My brother left for his mission Today! I have quite the mix of emotions about it. I am so happy for him! But at the same time I can’t help but be a little sad about it. We weren’t there when they actually dropped him off at the MTC. But I of course called my parents after the event and they told me how it went. Let me paint you a picture:

They drove up to drop him off. Skyler gets out, my dad helps him with his bags, and he heads into the MTC. He wasn’t searching for any hugs, or sad goodbyes. As he walked away, he didn’t even look back and wave… haha. That is so Skyler. My little sister Krista was crying, and everyone else was just quiet. They said it was all a little “surreal”. He was so ready to leave. He was never one to show emotion, so we really don’t know much about how he felt during the whole thing. He really was just so ready to go.

I’ve never experienced what it’s like to have someone you love go on a mission. I have to say, that what I feel inside is a little weird. I’m mostly happy, but then I have other emotions all mixed in. Sadness, nervousness, excitement, love, worry, fear, joy…. and much more.

I’m so glad that he will be able to share the gospel with the people in New York….. in Spanish! I know the gospel is true, the Book of Mormon is True, and we have a latter day prophet, Thomas S. Monson!  I know that my brother knows these things, and he will be able to share that with the people in New York!

Ok, So now I will give a summary of the last week!

Last Thursday we drove  down to Colorado. It was quite the drive….. When we got there, my mom had dinner ready, and there was a chocolate cake sitting on the table for my birthday! (belated) and some presents, it was so nice :)

IMAG0083 IMAG0084

On Friday we went to go get family pictures taken at the mall. They didn’t turn out as well as we had hoped, so we took different ones later!

001

We also went to Cameron’s basketball game, and took lots of trips to the park.

IMAG0085

By the way, I’m pretty sure my siblings like Hans more than they like me. What can I say ? I chose well….. I hear it from my family (extended included)  all the time. You better believe it.

DSC04253

DSC04254

DSC04257

We took some good family pictures! Enjoy :)

DSC04205

DSC04208

DSC04211

DSC04214

DSC04216

DSC04220

DSC04223

DSC04228

DSC04230

What a good looking family!! If I don’t say so myself :)

We had an open house for Skyler. Here are some pictures of that.

DSC04231

DSC04232

DSC04233

DSC04238

DSC04248

We also got to be there for Skyler getting set apart.

Him and president Todd… What a good picture!

DSC04258

Little sister loves her brother :)

DSC04262

Grandma and Grandpa with Elder Smith! Their first grandson on a mission :)

DSC04268

DSC04269

Candid picture

DSC04271

DSC04273

Such a good picture!

DSC04274

DSC04278

So heavy!

DSC04280

This is all who were there. It’s the best picture we got…. what can I say? It was windy.

DSC04288

A big smooch!

DSC04290

Hmmm…. I wonder if there is a limit to how long these posts can be? I guess we’ll see….

We got home Monday afternoon, and went strait to work and school. We were so tired, but the fun wasn’t over yet! We woke up yesterday morning (Tuesday) and we got in the car (again) and took a trip to Utah… to meet my family there!

We have seen hours and hours of this:

IMAG0092

We got SO lucky and had wonderful weather in Salt lake!

The last time Hans had been to Temple Square was when he was 8, so it was like the first time for him! It was such a good day!

At the conference center.

010

011

014

015

In and Out :)

018

P4190297

At the tabernacle …

Cameron “Hey that’s on the hymn books!”      Haha.

019

020

024

026

028

So I realize that I have a lot more pictures of Cameron than Skyler……. lets just say Skyler isn’t the biggest fan of pictures. Cameron Loves them….

With Skyler’s  request we went bowling.

P4190298

P4190299

Before he left the next day, we went to chilis. Then we parted. This is the last picture I got of Elder Smith!

P4200300

I can’t believe it! It feels so weird. Can’t wait for his first letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment